Seawater Corrosion Test Results
Why a Seawater Corrosion Test?
We tested EonCoat against seawater because of how corrosive it is. The experiment directly compared us to the coating industries best. This is how we did it.
How Test was Conducted.
First, we applied several different coatings to 17 different test plates. All the coating systems are listed below.
- EonCoat – #14
- Carboncoat DTM 8215- #15
- Pitt-Tech DTM Industrial Enamel 90-374 PPG- #16
- Carboline Carbozinc Primer + Carbocrylic Topcoat 335- #17
- AFM Safecoat Primer + AFM Safecoat Top Coat – #18
- Pitt Guard Rapid Coat DTR 95-245 95-249 PPG – #19
- Pitt Tech Plus DTM 90-1210 PPG – #20
- Sherwin Williams PRO Industrial Primer – #21
- Sherwin Williams PRO Industrial Primer + Topcoat Pro Industrial – #22
- Sherwin Williams Zinc Clad 143-0255 – #23
- Sherwin Williams Kem Kromix Primer + Sherwin Williams Rust Preventative Paint – #24
- Sherwin Williams Kem Kromik Primer – #25
- Rustoleum Pro High-Performance Primer V-7580 – #26
- Rustoleum Pro High Performace Primer V-7580 + Topcoat Rustoleum V-7592 – #27
- Rustoleum Industrial Choice 5200 DTM Acrylic – #28
- Carboline Carbocrylic 3359 – #29
- AFM Safe-Coat Primer- #30
Then, we put a deep scribe into each of the panels & laid them flat. Seawater corrosion test was conducted by spraying real seawater brought directly from the Atlantic for 10 minutes out of every 4 hours. Sunlight was simulated by sun lamps (426-nano-meter light waves) in continuous 4-hour intervals for 170 days. The entire 170 days were live on the internet for all to follow. We didn’t know beforehand how we would do.
EonCoat has learned a great deal since this long ago test of our first version of the coating (we are on version 5 now) but even then the first version of this material science outperformed the most well-known products. We thought it would be fun for all, to look back at where it all started. For more details on the experiment click here.
After 170 long days, EonCoat was the only one standing without any corrosion.
EonCoat Day 1 (Left) vs. Day 170 (Right)
Top Performers other than EonCoat.
Two of the other coatings stood out when it came to corrosion protection. AFM Safecoat Primer + AFM Safecoat Top Coat & Rustoleum Pro High Performace Primer V-7580 + Topcoat Rustoleum V-7592 were showing promising results until the last week of testing. At that point, they failed.
AFM Safecoat Primer + AFM Safecoat Top Coat – Day 1 (Left) vs. Day 170 (Right) – Circles Show Corrosion Pitting
Rustoleum Pro High Performace Primer V-7580 + Topcoat Rustoleum V-7592 – Day 1 (Left) vs. Day 170 (Right) – Circles Show Corrosion Pitting
Everyone else didn’t come close
Every other coated test panel failed terribly. Corrosion beat them all. Some of the coatings bubbled others just rusted right through. Here are some of them. For all the results click here.
PPG Pitt-Tech DTM Industrial Enamel 90-374 – Day 1 (Left) vs. Day 170 (Right)
Sherwin Williams PRO Industrial Primer + Topcoat Pro Industrial – Day 1 (Left) vs. Day 170 (Right)
Results speak for themselves
It’s pretty clear which coating is the best. To see the results of all the other coatings watch the video on the top of the page or click here. To learn more about EonCoat download the EonCoat E-Book or Contact Us.